Anything is better than a processed food nugget hot out of the microwave, but if you want to really turn up the health meter, give these rolls a shot. Be patient with the rice papers if this is your first time using them. They get easier to use the more you make. You can also find pre-cut veggies if your knife skills need improvement or time is short.
- 2 carrots, julienned to thickness of a pencil
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 bunch rainbow beets
- 1 package spring roll wraps
- On the high setting, boil or steam beets until soft and let them cool. When beets are cool enough to handle, peel off outer skin and slice into small discs.
- In a large bowl, toss the veggies gently in the orange juice and honey. Prepare the rice paper as instructed on the package.
- Lay rice paper down flat and place 3 beet slices in a line in the middle. Make a small stack of the veggie mix on top of the beets. Use about 2 oz. of veggie mix per roll.
- Fold in the sides of the rice paper first. Then roll the paper around the veggies until it’s tight. Now flip over the spring rolls to reveal the beets’ color.