This is a traditional family recipe, minus the hot peppers so the whole family can enjoy it. But if your kids can handle a little heat, by all means throw some spice in. The recipe is a simple base for great chili that keeps well for making sloppy joes or Frito pie for tomorrow's lunch.
- 2 lb. ground bison or lean ground beef
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 poblano peppers, diced
- 1 can mild RO*TEL tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 quart tomato sauce
- 1 8-oz. can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- On the stove, brown meat with onion in a pot over medium-high heat. Drain meat in a colander.
- Add meat and remaining ingredients to a crockpot and cook on highest setting for 4 hours.
- Enjoy with shredded cheese and tortilla chips or straight out of a bowl, as Lady Bird Johnson famously did.