This soup is perfect for when an illness has you feeling down or to combat gray January skies. Since everyone loves potato soup, discussions inevitably arise over the best potatoes to use. We stick with regular Idaho baking potatoes. Keep it simple and let people add the toppings they prefer.
- 6 baking potatoes
- 1 32-oz. carton chicken broth
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Boil them until soft.
- Add the chicken broth to the potatoes. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the milk and heavy cream, and simmer 10 minutes.
- If you need to thicken your soup, remove 1 cup of the soup, add ½ cup of flour to the removed soup, and whisk well. Add back to soup pot and stir in well.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a hearty whole wheat roll and butter.
- Provide cubed ham, grated cheese, crispy bacon, sour cream, and green onions so folks can top their soup as they prefer.