This soup should be a winter staple, with its deep, rich aroma and creamy stock. Be sure to purchase real wild rice. Its texture and flavor is stronger, and the rice holds its shape. Crispy French bread goes wonderfully with the soup.
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms—porcini is best
- 2 32-oz. cartons chicken broth
- 1 cup wild rice
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and cut into bite-size pieces
- Sauté the celery in a skillet with a ⅛ cup of water until transparent.
- Sauté the sliced mushrooms in a skillet until tender. Do not crowd the mushrooms in the skillet.
- Add the celery and mushrooms to a large pot with the chicken broth.
- Add the wild rice and simmer until rice is tender—about 40 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and simmer for 10 minutes
- Stir in the chicken.
- Salt and pepper to taste.