These are lunchbox friendly because of their size and shape. You can also build them ahead of time to be heated quickly if the standard after-school snack doesn't make the grade.
- 1 pack whole wheat pita bread
- 3 cups fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 2 large organic Roma tomatoes
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- If the pitas are not already cut in half, then use a knife to halve them so they open like an envelope.
- Using a blender or food processor, combine half the bag of spinach with the tomatoes, olive oil, and oregano.
- Mix the cheese, the remaining spinach, and the basil in a small bowl. Use a spoon to toss the mixture gently with the sauce.
- Fill the pita halves with about 4 oz. of the mixture and heat as desired. I prefer to use a pan on the stovetop on medium-high heat until cheese is melted, but if you have time, grilling produces a nice crispy crust.