Make the vinaigrette the day before and chop the fennel and pears before your date arrives. To start the meal, all you have to do is mix everything together.
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 fresh fennel bulb
- 2 ripened Bartlett pears
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp minced shallots
- 4 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch of black pepper
- Wash the pears and fennel. Cut off the top part of the fennel and discard it or save it for another recipe.
- Mix all the vinaigrette ingredients in a shaker or small bowl, and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Slice the pears and fennel into thin slices. You can do this by hand or use a mandoline slicer.
- Mix the arugula with the pears, fennel, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the salad with the vinaigrette. You can also add toasted pecans if desired.